Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2003 Four wins 328 vista and the horns are not working...I

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Four wins 328 vista and the horns are not working...I removed dash panel and checked the horn switch and when I hit it there is juice coming out of the switch but I'm not getting juice to the horns....is there a relay or do the wires go direct to the horns?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Are these horns electric or air? Is there wires going to the horn or a hose?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are electric..yes there are wires....i checked the wires and when the switch is pressed there is no juice going to any wire
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok check for voltage to each wire connecting the test lead black to an alternate ground then test for voltage to the horn. The connect the red test lead to an alternate power source and check the ground with the black test lead. This will tell us which one you are loosing voltage or ground. Testing at the horm wires just tells uo aren't getting voltage or ground.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok not at the boat today...will do that and tell you what happens...was actually thinking same
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok when you have determined which is not getting to the horn then you can follow the wires. Now on this test I would disconnect the wires from the horn. Then do the checks. Post back with findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked wires at horn , no power nor ground.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok your going to have to look under the dash for the plug connector that the wires connect in. Since you have neither ground or power this leads me to believe you have a plug in connector that is either come unplugged or the connections are corroded in the plug. Follow the wires the best you can from the horn to the dash area where everything connects.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the horns off the boat and the wires were cut and taped with black tape. Don't know why. Reconnected the wires and now horn is working. Thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome........Thank you.............Tan Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is how I get credit for helping you. Thank you..........Tan