Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How good is the hull & superstructure of a Hatteras 53 convertible

Customer Question

How good is the hull & superstructure of a Hatteras 53 convertible SF? It's a 1970 with 2 DD 8V71. While I might change the engine, I am wondering whether the hull construction is far off from today's standards at Hatteras!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. The older hulls are solid glass. They are very heavy, not very efficient, but at the same time extremely seaworthy pigs of a hull. They didn't "lighten up" until 1980. From a quality standpoint the hulls of that era are top notch. From an efficiency and luxury/comfort standpoint, todays hulls obviously have 40 + more years of engineering that went into them.
I do want to make sure you are happy with the service I am providing to you before you go. Did you have any other questions on the engine or do you think that covers it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which are the differences with an Ocean Yacht 55 SS, 1984 in terms of hull construction, integrity, etc. And efficiency?On the Hatteras 53C, 1970, do you see more advantage on getting the
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do know the have more glass than nowadays. However, when comparing their displacement/weight the old Hatteras 53C, 1970 is 65,000 lb, while the recent Hatteras 54C is 70,000 + lb. I don't see the difference.Is the old/post-1980 difference in efficiency because the engines (DD V892 instead of 71 and/or Cat 18C) more efficient in terms of diesel consumption?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I can not answer your follow up questions, I am a mechanic and not a broker. I will have to opt out and leave this open to the community. But to be honest, I know everybody here, and I don't think anybody can answer that question as that is a question that is going to be aimed at a sales guy/boat broker.... and we are all just mechanics here. Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On engines, I mentioned they have 2 x DD 8V71, and after 1980, came the DDV892 and then the Cats C18/32, nowadays!. My question is: What do I loose if I don't re-power the DD 8V71 with the 92s? (I overhaul the 8V71 with allison transmissions 2.3:1). I believe (?) the best would be to get the Cat C18 or 32s, but in the interest of money!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason: I don't want to deal with broker, just with mechanics, the guys who knows the real engine problems, NOT the Broker(i.e. they are salespersons). Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason: MY APOLOGIES for asking a question to deal with two competing brands! That was not my intention (it was because I am trying to decide between Ocean Yacht 1984-55-SS and the Hatteras 71-53C-1970. My apologies).Let's focus on the 2 version of the DD engines: V871 and V892. Which are the +/- of these 2 engines. If I can get by with the 71 (cid/piston) engine, I will save monies; however, if they are too in-efficient, then I have to thing on replacing with the 8V92 and not overhauling them. I believe, this is a more fair question, within the same manufacturer.