Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Larry my name is***** how you helped a few guys out

Customer Question

Hi Larry my name is***** how you helped a few guys out so maybe you can help me. I have a 2002 optimax 225. New to me boat.
Motor was running fine when I got a long constant alarm. Let it sit and ran fine again. When I got home I took the clowning off and everything looked good except the oil line to upper bearing had a small tear in it. I fixed that and went back out. Next time out motor would cut off while cruising and return to idle. Changed the water sep and clean vst. Still doing the same thing. Will run for 20mins then start acting like it's starved for fuel. Idles fine.
One thing that also came up was we went to put fuel in and it wouldn't take gas. We had just over a quarter tank and it would just kick back. I pulled the sending unit to let air go out so I could fill it. I looked for a vent but there isn't one. It vents thought the fuel fill. Never seen that but you can see the diaphragm. That looks clean but still wouldn't take fuel.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
When you got the alarm, was the water discharge still good coming from the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes was peeing strong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also found vent tube on front of tank. It goes back to fuel filler neck and I blew in and fuel must have been in there. Flowed out but still not sure why tank would not take gas if that worked.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
The solid horn is for engine overheat or air compressor overheat. Extreme battery over voltage would also cause this alarm.
Did you happen to notice the battery voltage on the gauge when the alarm went off?
Do you know any maintenance history of the engine?
If the vent was full of fuel, it would not allow air to escape the tank, that would cause the filling issue that you were having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Motor was supposedly maintained by merc guys south of me. Motor looked very clean and compression was fantastic.
Don't know voltage as the vessel view screen went out and waiting in another.
It also does this without an alarm. Alarm only went of once.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also toggled between batt switches think I was low on voltage. No change.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What color is the fuel line going to the engine? If it is gray, what color is any writing on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel line is black
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
When the motor slows down, is it shaking allot?
Does the tone of the motor change, like it sounds as if it is missing?
do you have a fuel pressure gauge to do some testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not shaking. No missing. Just seems like guardian mode but not that abrupt. It's trying to keep going but can't.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fuel pressure gauge but can get one quick
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The gauge would need to be able to read over 100 PSI. Screw on schreader type.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think that clogged up fuel vent could cause this?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That is a possibility, the pulse pump may not have been able to draw in enough fuel to keep the engine up to speed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At parts store now getting gauge. Do I need one or two? I have read about reading the air side as well
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Just one, you can use it on both sides. Make sure that it will screw on to a valve the same size as a tire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok back at boat will get cowl off and hook up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which valve is for fuel?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Right side rail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just hook up and run motor or turn over?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hook up gauge, then turn key on. Pressure should go up to 40 and then when the pumps turn off, it will fall to about 20.
There is also a fitting on the rear of the VST, check that one as well. It should read 25 when the key is turned on and hold about 20 as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok fuel rail goes to 50 then 20. I can't find valve on vst tank.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Number 35.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/200%20%28DFI%29%203.0L/0T801000%20THRU%201B417701/Vapor%20Separator%20Components/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a diagram? Also mine is a 225 that parts list said 200
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry found diagram tab. My vst is not like that. I do not have the castle style filter. I have the outside separator. And outside pump.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that one does not have the fitting.
Can yo start the engine the engine there with water applied to it? While testing the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I can boat is on lift.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me know what you get for both fuel and air at idle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok fuel reads 90. It jumps around like its pulsing. Now off to store for a better gauge. Schrader valve in adapter came out and is gone.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your gauge just broke?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah the little adapter that allows you to hook up from large size valve to tire size. The valve inside piped out when I removed it.
It was reading 90 and pulsing.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The reading is normal.
Air will be around 80 or so. Make sure that when you hook to the air side that you do not get any liquid from it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok on way to parts store. Thanks you for your help so far
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Just let me know when you are there testing the air side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tested air side and it reads 80 and pulses.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Was there any liquid in it at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing came out of valve when spun on
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
So far this is still pointing to the cooling system. Air and fuel pressure are correct.
Can you get the boat to where you can remove the gear case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try. Would over heat cause the bogging down? What impeller does it use. I can grab one so it's done at same time.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Impeller is 43026T 2. Kit number is ***** That has all the gaskets and the plate as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok changed impeller ran it no difference. Feels like someone yanking spark on and off. Runs strong then hesitation then strong the. Just gets worse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also no alarms.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a vid of the engine and post it here. I would like to see and hear what it is doing.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I can in am. I pulled vst apart and pulled screen. Cleaned it out. Had pepper looking particles in it.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That really could be the inside of the fuel lines. I would check the spin on filter as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok pulled vst apart again cleaned it all out including small screen filter. Cleaned water sep and it was clean inside. Ran it. Ran good for 20 mins and then started to do it again. Checked wires for shorts etc all looks good. No alarms.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a vid of the engine and post it here. I would like to see and hear what it is doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to but can't by myself. Did find something else. Rechecked pressures after motor had issue. Found water in air rail. Pulsed back of compressor and there was water in the output side of comp going to rail. Air filter was dry. I guess the comp must have blow a "head gasket" and is sucking water. Builds enough up after 20 min and causes this.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is the issue. There are 3 o-rings on the reed plate that you will need to change. Do you need any part numbers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles wanted to give you am update and see what you think. I went ahead and replaced the compressor. It ran decent for two days and then this afternoon back to same issue. I pulled back cap off compressor and there was water in the output section only. I was worried about the way the intake was so I made a fitting and used a hose to intake air from an absolutely dry area.
After it happened I cleaned out water and blead the lines. Ran fine again. The water only could be coming from around compressor o rings. Unless there is an air return line but I don't see one.
Could too much water pressure do this? I don't have a gauge so I don't know what I have.
Is there another way water could be introduced into line?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What type of boat do you have the engine on?
Depending on the type and speed I have a theory.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The boat is a 22 talon.
Converted to a flats boat.
Runs low 70's. The motor is all the way up on jack plate put still have 2 holes up on bracket. Motor is a 25. Nose of lower still below center pod and lower has lwp.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Old pic from when I bought it but still same set up.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Cool boat, Does the engine look like it was covered with salt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. A little in corners where it latches. But nothing sever. Inside the cowl had some misting but again nothing crazy.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
This is what I have seen on high speed boats.
The water outlet from the center of the exhaust port will travel back up the cowl and into the engine. This water makes its way into the air compressor and then into the rails. That would cause the engine to slow down as it is not getting enough air to operate properly.
Can you have a separate boat take a vid of the engine when you are at top speed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could try but I don't have anyone that runs as fast.
Could you be more specific on what you think is happening? I can't picture it.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Water from the exhaust relief, in the center of the rear lower cowl, is traveling back u the outside of the top cowl and getting into the air track of the engine. This water is being drawn into the air compressor and causing the engine to run rough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok this is what I thought as well so when I put the new compressor on I put a 90 deg on the comp air inlet and used a hose to draw air from a place that was absolutely dry. It ends in front of oil tank.
I checked end of hose and it looks dry.
Let's say the water is getting in this way what's the solution.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Justanswer sent me a phone/text request. Would that be better?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Well, slow down is one. Install a tunnel in front of the engine.
Or insert a hose into the exhaust outlet on the rear cowl to direct the water more toward the bottom of the engine.
It would be on Thurs. I am off to bed tonight, as I have knee surgery tomorrow. Thurs, I will be online and ready for phone calls all day if you wish to go that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** try making a 90 and having exhaust go down. Slowing down is no fun. Lol.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
LOL,
I have seen guys run a hose from the exhaust relief on the rear cowl down to near the water line to stop an issue like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Going to try and figure someway to direct the exhaust down. Do you have any idea what size hose to use. I imagine some permeated black would hold it.
Hope your surgery went well.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
That was cancelled. Lungs too noisy.
the hose I think was 1"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One other thought I had was that this could be a blown head gasket. Could water be sucked back up the rail and filling line up to compressor like that?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
No that would not work that way. If it was a head gasket, The motor would run really poorly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok made a new hose that pulls air from air box up front instead of by oils tank. I have noticed salt spread over motor. So water has to be getting in just not enough to puddle.
Also found one spark plug that someone must have dropped when servicing engine. Gap was to tip so replaced it.
Found a 90 to put in exhaust to face down. Also going to out a piece of weather stripping across bottom of back cowl. If water is being drawn up hopefully this will push it to sides.
Also tried to hook up a analog tach to motor and get nothing. Followed instructions for a digital opti by re routing grey wire but no output. Checked tach with scope it's good.
Can you see of I did it properly. Basically I unpluged harness that is attached to the front of the ECM that had blue and white wire and grey and brown on other side of clip. I pulled grey and brown wire off that. Then pulled grey wire coming from ECM and hooked to grey wire on key side harness.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The plumbing sounds good. to get an analog tach to work, you would need to change the signal driver in the ECU. This takes Mercury software to do that.