Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2006 200 XL optimax. It seems to run fine and get

Customer Question

I have a 2006 200 XL optimax. It seems to run fine and get up and run on the water but has a problem idling. I have replaced 1 air injector and 1 fuel injector - both on the same coil (#2), but no change. When I pulled off the fuel injector wires the only one that there was no difference with is the #2 cylinder. I switched the coil and it was still no changes. What do you suggest could be the problem and the answer. Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
What is the max RPM that you can get out of the engine?
How do the spark plugs look?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the max RPM is approx 520 running at full speed in the waterthe spark plugs look good to me
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
When you changed the coil to another cylinder, did you move both parts or just the inner coil?
Have you done a compression test on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just moved the inner coil onlyNo, there has been no compression test on the engine
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Can you move the outer coil driver to another cylinder and them see if #2 will fire correctly?
After that you should do a compression test to make sure that the block is not hurt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you send me a diagram of the outer coil driver?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Sure, It is pat 5 in this diagram.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/200%20%28DFI%29%203.0L/0T801000%20THRU%201B417701/Coil%20Plate%28Serial%20Number%201B227000%20%26%20Up%29/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I moved the outer coil driver and still nothing is happening on #2So, from your previous comment I should do a compression test now
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it would be nice to know the numbers on all 6 cylinders.
Take all the plugs out and trip the kill switch to stop spark. The insert the tester into one cylinder at a time. Crank over the engine until the gauge reading peaks out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - I don't have a compression gauge at the moment, so I cant check the compression. But, what compression am I looking for when I do get a gauge and can check.
What I don't understand though is if there is no compression on that coil and cylinder (#2) will that stop the air and fuel injector for that cylinder not to work?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
If you do not have compression on that cylinder, even though the injectors are working, it will still not fire.
The compression needs to be over 100 PSI and no more than 15% between all cylinders.