Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1980 evinrude 115hp outboard that is loosing voltage

Customer Question

I have a 1980 evinrude 115hp outboard that is loosing voltage when trying to start. there is 13v from battery to the solenoid but only 7v from solenoid to starter, which is not allowing starter to engage the fly wheel. I tried a new solenoid and got same results, any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. You have a bad battery cable or a bad connection either at the battery or the engine. Now when you test the voltage connect the black test lead to the battery neg terminal. Then tewst the voltage at the start solenoid when cranking the engine. What is you voltage reading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Tan, the voltage is 13v going into solenoid and only 7v comeing out of solenoid to the starter when cranking engine
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok is this with the negative meter lead connected to the battery post directly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't remember if I checked it like that or to the engine block
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
This test will determine if you have bad battery cables. The test will tell us if the ground or the positive cable is bad. Look closely at the battery cables for fat or swollen spots in the cable. Check that the ground connections on the engine are clean and tight. Do the same on the battery. The loss of voltage is due to either a bad connection, cable end or cables.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking the same thing. I will go try it and check cables. it was engageing starter and then 3rd time I tried it wouldn't engage
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yep with a bad connection it can get the connection hot and it will loose continuity causing no start. Since you changed the solenoid that leaves cables, connections or cable ends. On a boat of this age the cable are the most likely. Post back with questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank tan. im new at this , how do I post questions
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Just as you have been.