Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I'm Richard. I have a Sealine 25 with Volvo KAD32 engine.

Customer Question

Hi I'm Richard. I have a Sealine 25 with Volvo KAD32 engine. Just cleaned it up for the season including the bilge under the engine. Just switched the ignition on (first time): the Oil Pressure light comes on after 10 seconds - even before starting the engine. Oil level is fine. Manual says if oil level is okay could be blocked filter. Before I change that, though, is it possible I dislodged the oil pressure sender wire while cleaning under the engine (very confined space)- would that give false signal?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, just to clarify: the boat is a Sealine S25 (I note I missed out the S previously)
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Does the light stay on when you start the engine, or does it go out?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
It looks like you read my response and logged off. Did you try to send a reply back, as I did not receive one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi - sorry had to go down and check...
So, normally when ignition is switched on all three lights (coolant, oil, battery) come on for about 20 seconds. Now only the oil one comes on, flashing.
When I start the engine the oil light goes out (others remain unlit).
However the oil pressure is reading in normal range. But now it's running I note that the rev counter is not reading. The plot thickens !!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BTW, if I turn the engine off and then repeat the process, I get the same result (i.e. oil warning light, etc) so it wasn't just a one-off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
my credit card company just asked for verification of this transaction (I'm in UK and I suspect you're in the USA?). I have approved it so hopefully that's not an issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While I've been waiting to hear back from you, I've done some more experimenting. I think it's electrical. With the engine running, the rev counter doesn't register and the voltmeter registers about 12V - not the 13.5V it should do if the alternator's working. I tried it several times and on just one occasion everything worked just as it should (no oil pressure light, rev counter okay, 13.5V) but on every other occasion I had all the symptom's described above.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. After seeing that you read my initial reply I waited around 10 minutes for you and didn't hear anything back, so I ran out to do some errands.
What do you have for gauges? Do you have the standard square Volvo control panel?