Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2005 Yamaha 2 stroke 150 HP outboard, last season

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Yamaha 2 stroke 150 HP outboard, last season the alarm came on due to low oil, the mechanic thought it was the cap to the oil holding tank in the motor should be replaced, ran the motor at the dock for 2 hours no problem. Went out the next day, the alarm went off again, he suggested we change the oil pump which we did this season, ran it at the dock for 2 hours no problem, took it out yesterday, an again the alarm went off due to low oil, I don't have a clue, unless when we stop the engine the oil drains and the pump can't keep up with it.
Help
Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
First thing I would start with is restrictions in the system, it sounds like it pumps and fills just at a very slow pace to which it cannot keep up as the system uses faster than it can supply. In which case I would start by checking for restrictions, air leaks, and pump condition such as if weak and not pumping enough as well as checking the float and for loose connections.
To help further I would need the exact model number of the engine.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.