Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Jason, I'm Rob. I have a 1988 Yamaha 175 ETXG since new.

Customer Question

Hi Jason, I'm Rob. I have a 1988 Yamaha 175 ETXG since new. It has approx 400 hours on it. I've always done the winterization per factor manual. The compression is between 115 and 120 PSIG in all cylinders. It just doesn't have the low end power it used to have for pulling up skiers. I've never changed the sst prop. from new. I'm having the carbs rebuilt with factory rebuild kit. is this going to do the trick?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Good morning Rob my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry for the delay. Your question came in overnight when I was well asleep (I am in Florida, eastern time).
Are you having any performance issues when you are not pulling skiers?
Was it fine last year, but worse this year?
How old is the gas you are currently trying to burn?
Have you verified that the engine is actually warming up, and not running to cold?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't have power from the standing start. With or without a skier. Takes much longer to get on plane.
Getting worse over past several years.
Fuel tank has been cleaned out well twice and the filter/seperator has been changed each time with little hours after each change.
The engine is warming up.
I have had the carbs rebuilt using Yamaha kit by an experienced Yamaha Sales/Service/performance/racer. He thought they didn't look too bad.
I have checked the compression to be 115-120 PSIG in all cylinders.
I'm wondering if the reeds are not closing.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rob,
Usually when there is a reed problem the engine will start stuttering and misfiring anywhere from 1/2 of full throttle on up. Is the engine misfiring at all?
What kind of boat is this engine mounted to?
Is there any damage to the propeller?
Is there any kind of growth on the boats bottom?
Does the boat eventually get up to full speed, and the engine eventually to full rpm?