Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1995 Bayliner Ciera 2655. My steering has lots of

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Bayliner Ciera 2655. My steering has lots of play and requires constant adjustment to keep the boat to stay on course. Can you tell me what you believe the problem is and can the play in my steering system be adjusted to remove the right to left play in the steering wheel. The boat has the original steering system.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. There are 2 things that can be your problem. The gimbal ring or the steering cable. Do this as a test have a friend hold the steering wheel. Then go to the drive and move the drive from side to side. Do you have allot of play? Then while you are moving the drive check the steering arm inside the boat where it attaches to the drive. When you move the drive from side to side is the arm moving also?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I adjust the steering cable at the gimbal or under the dash at the steering wheel?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
No there is no adjustments on the cable or the helm. Loose steering is worn parts. The checks I posted will determine which is the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tan I have had the problem since I purchased the boat new in 1995. The boat has less than 450 hours on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am now retired and the wandering steering wheel is annoying me.
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Yes it will get aggravating. Can you do the checks I posted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will tomorrow. Thanks
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Ok post back with findings and questions. We can get this figured out. Have a good evening..