Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 20hp 1975 outboard has a three blade 9 pitch prop. motor

Customer Question

my 20hp 1975 outboard has a three blade 9 pitch prop. motor seems to scream at wot. yesterday at wot. it jumped out of gear. thought the prop came off, or gears broke. towed it in, restarted it worked fine again. ran wot again worked good. but its hard to use reverse lever with out motor running. is this to little prop. of the dogs bad?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Outboards do not typically jump out of gear. Have you drained the gear lube to see if there is water or metal chunks in it? Was there any loud grinding when this happened?