Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Need help with honda bf200I have MIL code #1 (02 sensor

Customer Question

need help with honda bf200
I have MIL code #1 (02 sensor or plug misfire)
symptom appears to be false triggering of the overheat alarm at idle both on muffs and in the water, then limp mode, then shut down....and easy restart and repeat.....otherwise engine runs great, seems to idle at an appropriate rpm and very smoothly...
2 new thermostats
temp is 175-180
good pee stream alternating between cool and warm
Could this simply be the 02 sensor? I hear their have been problems with these due to poor exhaust manifold design (mine is one of the affected models serial#(###) ###-#### ***** don't know if the updated manifolds were ever installed.
Or could this be something else as a primary problem..i.e vacuum leak? faulty temp sensors...
Maybe the code was just a random plug misfire and changing the O2 sensor will be a waste of time...
I am trying to test the 02 sensor with a voltmeter and a propane torch (but have not done it yet)
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Are you following the troubleshooting procedure in the service manual? Have you checked fuel pressure yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason,
No I have not tested the fuel pressure as per the troubleshoot....but..a recent change.....I tried to heat the 02 sensor and had zero voltage across any of the wires.....and 15 ohms across the white wires...no continuity anywhere else.....I understand I might have screwed up the o2 sensor by putting a voltage across it when I checked the ohm's.....I then re-installed it....the boat started fine yesterday....after re-installing the 02 sensor, it coughed and ran for about 3 seconds at a time require restart...after 4-5 attempts it does not fire at all now.....woops.....what have I done?????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking I may have taken a faulty 02 sensor and turned it into a completely screwed 02 sensor....and now it is sending a "too rich" signal to the ECM......the ECM has shut down the fuel supply all together?.......the engine has spark and the exhaust does not smell gassy......the plugs are dry.....(black powder but DRY)....I'm pretty sure at this point there is no fuel to the cylinders.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

Do you still require assistance with your problem?