Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Alumacraft allweld 1860 Tunnel. I am about to buy a new one

Customer Question

Alumacraft allweld 1860 Tunnel. I am about to buy a new one of these. I want to put a 50hp Merc with command thrust and big tiller, on it. I heard there may be a problem with the command thrust motor, on a tunnel boat, making the boat plow when I have a light load (one person in boat). The boat weighs 635 lbs and the merc is about 240 lbs.
Will use the boat for fishing in the summer and in fall will use it duck hunting but in the fall I usually have two other guys, a retriever, 5 or 6 dozen decoys and the gear for all of us (guns, ammo, ect). fall will have a much heavier load in the boat. I don't want to put the wrong motor combination and be disappointed. I might be better putting the elpt on instead the command thrust. Your thoughts.***@******.***
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
I fail to see how the boat would plow with a light load. That is normally used to describe a heavy load. the command thrust lower unit is very solid. Running a larger prop and allowing more lift of the boat. There are several different props that you could try if you were having an issue with one load or the other.