Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1998 90horse power motor when my boat is sitting

Customer Question

I have a 1998 90horse power motor when my boat is sitting the 4+carbs are filling up with outboard oil
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. You have a bad check valve on the oil injection supply line. Could I get your engine serial number please?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry my mistake I had Mercury in my mind. You have a bad primer bulb on the oil tank in the boat oil reservoir.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that all i should look at it has gone hard
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes the primer bulb will become hard and the check valves in the primer bulb will stick open allowing the oil to pass through the primer bulb and filling the carbs with oil. While you are replacing the primer bulb I would inspect the oil line and clean the filter in the oil reservoir. If the oil lines are real hard the can develop air leaks at connection points. Especially one the line has been removed from any connections points. So when you remove the primer bulb the hoes if it is hard you won't be able to get a tight fit on the connections. Allowing the VRO pump to suck air and cause engine damage.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here's a link to the primer bulb for the oil tank. http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/omc/O-0175985.html
# ***** is the filter that should be cleaned.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/OMC/OBAccessories/1998/FUEL%20SYSTEMS/OIL%20TANK%20KIT%20--%201.8%20GALLON/parts.html
Post back if you need further assistance.
Thank you.............Tan