Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1996 stratos 288 with a 2002 mercury 150 efi. I have

Customer Question

I have a 1996 stratos 288 with a 2002 mercury 150 efi. I have only had the boat out on the water 4 times, previously with no problems. This past weekend, while cruising around 1/2-3/4 throttle, the hot, low oil, and check engine light all flashed once and i heard one beep, not a steady beep. I turned it off and fished for about an hour. Cranked it back up, it did the same thing again around the same throttle. We were a pretty good way from the dock so I turned it off and let it sit another hour. Right before we got back to the dock, it did it again. It may be a coincidence but every time it did it was rough water. I did check and it was "peeing" fine. A mechanic told me that it had 10lbs of pressure and it needed a water pump. Everything I read says 10lbs is enough, so i dont want to put one on if that doesnt fix it.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Can I get the serial number on the engine please. Is the engine going into power reduction when it beeps?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the serial number is ***** There is no reduction in power that im aware of. Needless to say, every time it has done it, I immediately have let off the throttle and shut the engine off.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you want to go and run it and see what it does? Or what would you like to do here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean go and run it? I would like to know if you know whats wrong with it.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what's wrong with it. It's not supposed to beep just "once". The only time it beeps once is when you start it up. I guess a loose battery cable could make it beep once. But other than that, you have to keep running it to see what it does first, and then when you have more symptoms it can be troubleshot based on symptoms. If you don't want to troubleshoot it based on symptoms then you would have to have the engine hooked up to a scan tool to check for codes. As of right now the engine is doing something its not supposed to do. It is not supposed to beep once when you are up on plane and using the engine. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, i see what your saying. So you have never seen this before? Beeping once and 3 of the 4 dash indicator lights flashing once?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I've seen bad ECM's and shorts in harness's make the engines alarm system do all sorts of things it's not supposed to do. I've even seen the 4 light indicators flash so randomly that it was like playing a game of "Simon" (the kids game).
When it comes to the lights and the alarm system and the beeps. There are beeps and light patterns that it is supposed to do. But the single beep with all 3 lights coming on is not something it would not normally do. Because of that, when looking for a problem one would look for a problem the engine would not normally have. When looking at this you have to think about it logically. The ECM controls the alarm system. So the first thing that needs to be determined is if the ECM is turning the alarm on, or if it's not. And the easiest way to do that is to plug in the scan tool and duplicate the problem. If there is an active fault, the scan tool will say "Fault" on it at the same time it is beeping. But if there is no fault, then chances are the alarm is turning itself of because of a short someplace in the harness. And that's kinda were you just start. You dig deeper depending on what you find from the initial diagnostic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see what your saying. Do you think there is a chance of it being the water pump?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. If the engine was overheating you would get 1 long continuous BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. It would not stop until the engine was no longer overheating. And you would get a solid check engine and also a solid temp light on the gauge. The engine would also go into power reduction.
On the other side, there is also a water pressure sensor. If that was acting up, you would get a 2 beep alarm that repeats every 2 minutes. For example. Beep beep, 2 minute pause, beep beep. The check engine light would also flash.
I would have a look and make sure the battery cables are not loose, or has a lousy connection. As that's always a concern whenever the engine is doing something it's not supposed to do.
Post back with any questions.
Thanks,
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to run it in the morning and get back with you . Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. if you do have any further questions on this feel free to post back at any time.
Thanks,
Jason