Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My tilt/trim won't go up on my 2000 Johnson 90hp. It will go down using either switc

Customer Question

My tilt/trim won't go up on my 2000 Johnson 90hp. It will go down using either switch, but not up. Happened all of a sudden
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name I Jason and I will be helping you today. Can I get the model number on the engine please. If you remove the engines cover, and listen very carefully while a helper hits the trim up button over and over, can you hear any clicking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will go down and I hear the motor running normally. I'm not near the engine now.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It's more than likely a bad trim up relay/solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How hard to replace, and where is it located?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Click this link to pull up a parts diagram.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/2000/J90VLSSE/POWER%20TRIM%20AND%20TILT%20ELECTRICAL/parts.html
If you pop the engine cover off and look in the lower cowl you would see the relay harness. #3 in that picture. The actual relays are #5. They are very simple to change, they just pull right out. You would want to replace them as a matched set.
Was there anything else I could help you with?
--Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look at that and see. Thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help. I think that about covers it. If there was something I missed or if you had a further question on this, just let me know. If not, You should see the ratings box now. If you do end up having a further question about this later you can still come back and ask, doing the ratings does not close out the questions. If you can not see the ratings box please reply back "I rate Jason's Service ________" And fill in the blank. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and happy boating!
Jason