Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

1980 260 How do I stop the boat from shutting down when I shift

Customer Question

1980 260 How do I stop the boat from shutting down when I shift from neutral to drive?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Could I get the make, model and serial number of your engine please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mercursier,350,rebuilt
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok how does the engine shift? Is it stiff and does it go into forward and reverse?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not stiff. it goes into both forward and reverse.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Did the shift cable adjustment get messed with when the engine was out? Usually engine stalling when changing gears is caused by a bad shift cable. This is the cable that goes down to the drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it could have. what's the fix?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok we need to disconnect the shift cable from the control to the shift bracket. Then put the drive in gear while someone spins the prop to the left. Now measure the shift cable coming from the drive between the hole in the end and the barrel center to center. It should measure 6". Do you follow this procedure so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a pic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so I need the 6" distance for the boat to shift correctly?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
For the adjustment to be correct. Once you have that cable adjusted install the cable in this position full forward. Now shift control into forward slide cable from control into shift bracket. If it doesn't slide in adjust the barrel on the control cable from the control till if fits in the shift bracket.If the adjustment is out the engine will stall going in or out of gear. If all adjustments are correct make sure the shift lever # ***** on the shift bracket moves freely. If it moves freely then the shift cable is bad and will need replacing. The cable should slide freely in your hand when shifting if it has any resistance the cable is bad or the shift in the bell housing is stiff from corrosion. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/260%20-%20%284BBL%20GM%20350CID%205.7L%20V8%29/4908850%20THRU%206218461%20%281978-1982%29/SHIFT%20BRACKET%20AND%20REVERSE%20LOCK%20VALVE/parts.html Post back if you need further assistance.