Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2007 sailfish 218...F150 Yamaha 4s....started time

Customer Question

2007 sailfish 218...F150 Yamaha 4s....started for first time this season....charged battery, started fine...idled fine.....tried to take it up to speed...engine kind of shook, bogged down...never completely stalled....water in gas.....suggestions?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also forgot to treat fuel or fill tank up before winter
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Do you have water in the fuel now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but how would I know?.......after it did it twice I just idled back to dock and left it.....I don't know how to look for water in fuel or what to do when water is in fuel
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the full model number of the engine handy? I can look up your fuel system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry....all I know right now is yamaha f150 2007 4 stroke......I will try and find out more info on this
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
This diagram is the typical fuel system on that engine. Remove the cup on the filter, part 8. Pour what is inside the cup into a clear container. :Then hold that container around the filter, use the primer bulb to pump some fuel into your container. Allow it to sit for a few minutes. Is there more than one layer in the container?
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2006%20and%20Later/F150LA/FUEL%201/parts.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.....will try this.....do I need a special tool to remove filter?.....I was reading online that this may require a special tool?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Not for this engine it should not. The filter housing just screws to the base. Standard threads.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assuming there is water in fuel line tank.....how do I correct?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Well you will need to either pump it out or have the fuel that is in the tank cleaned. then you will need to purge the engine fuel system with fresh clean fuel and get it running.
Is the boat on a rack or a trailer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On my boat lift at dock.....how much should this cost if I take to service center.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
that would depend on how much water is in it, if there is any at all. You would be looking at a few hundred to get the fuel cleaned of any water if that is the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other reasons besides water in fuel to cause issue?.....should probably replace water/separator filter anyway.....
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
There are several other items that could cause this. Fouled plugs, plugged fuel filters, a stuck ring on a piston, lack of fuel pressure, sticking injectors, a bad coil, or just a bad plug. If the alarm was going off, that would open a whole nother can of worms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok....will advise.....thx
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Alright, let me know. Weekdays I am at my day job until after 530 PM CST.