Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I am from sweden an my spelling maybe bad hope you understand

Customer Question

hi i am from sweden an my spelling maybe bad hope you understand my question anyway
i hawe a 7,4 liter mercruser an removed the water pump an wen i open the back side i found soot in my pump lika a layer of paint on the plate i removed but it was soot ?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the big problem is engine running hot at hi rpm
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
Engine running hot at high rpms is usually blockage in the cooling system. The manifolds and risers are the usual suspects. Remove the riser from the manifold and inspect the water passages. The other possibility is the water inlet where the water pump connects at the transom.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The manifolds and risers are new the seawaterpump is new I'm censored about the thin layer of soot in th engine water pump ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
troubled is the correct word i think not censored
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can it be a blown hed gasket ?
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.
I have no idea how the pump is getting soot in it. The pump get water directly from the ocean,lake or river you are in. Do a compression test.