Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

I have a 1996 Kaw Sts 750. I pulled the eng did a

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Kaw Sts 750. I pulled the eng did a top end job rebore psi rings . the thing runs great, but trim, gas level, and tAC DOES NOT WORK... i HAVE 1 BLACK WIRE WITH RED STRIPES COMING OUT OF THE WIREING HARNESS. DON'T KNOW IF IT GOES TO GROUND OR BATT RED. HELP PLEASE

Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking to ? Do you still need help on this ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kenny, I still need help on this. as i said in the question, the machine runs great the tac and trim does not work. It did work before I had the trouble. I have a black and and small red rings coming out of the wiring harness...don;t know if this wire is connected to red battery cable at the starter silanoid the wire reaches about that far. or could this be a ground wire..?? I have a kaw 900 and the wire coming out of the wiring harness goes to the red battery cable the same color wire which is black and red are these two instruments run off the magneto? If You can help I would appreciate it. Thanks C.M.miller

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kenny, are You still there??? If You need more information let me know. The wire that I referred to is black red rings and has about 6mm ring at the end. looks like it would fit just about on the eng. thanks C. M

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, the single "black" wire on this model (JT750-B2) is connected to the ground side of the battery, that wire grounds the harness internally.

You need to open up the trim box and inspect for water, the controller in there is what gives the trim its power (switching)

Now do any of the indicator lights on in the fuel meter (3) of them come on when the engine is started ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kenny I don't think the lights came on when I started it, don't know if the instrument worked or not. the trim does not work, does that ground wire effect either of these two instruments? knowing where the ground wire goes helps a lot. I will put the ski in the water tomorrow and see if that takes care of the problem. I was afraid to connect wire to the ground untill I found out for sure. also I disconnected the oil pump went to premix I disconected the oil level indicator left the two blue wires open, I don't think that would affects either of these problems, do you? Kenny do You think the ground wire would have anything to do with the trim?? Thanks CM

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks CM

Yes if the main harness doesn't get ground then nothing will work, that year model of years had a tendency of getting water into the trim box, you might want to check that, you have about 3 bolts on it. Let me know what doesn't work after you test it

Thanks

Kenny