Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

The steele or iron deisel fuel tanks in my 1976 Pearson ketch

Customer Question

The steele or iron deisel fuel tanks in my 1976 Pearson ketch are leaking . I am draining the tank today as yersterday , I'm seeking a less expensive alternative to a steel tank. I don't know if I should replace with steele or go to fiberglass . Your thoughts ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. I would go back with what you had as they lasted this long. The problem with fiberglass is the fuel that is put in the tank and the additives. The fiberglass will break down. If you used only straight diesel and no additives it would be fine. But when you start mixing chemicals it will break down the fiberglass. The steel tank won't have that issue. You will most likely find that steel will be cheaper than fiberglass is anymore. Fiberglass is a patroleum product.