Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a Volvo penta sx-m out drive mixed up hydruilic lines

Customer Question

I have a Volvo penta sx-m out drive mixed up hydruilic lines to.trim cylinders can you tell me where they go
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Volvo makes 2 different trim systems for this drive. Is your hydraulic pump inside the boat, or outside, mounting in the gimbal housing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inside the boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Each hydraulic line on that system is it's own specific size. And they only fit one way. I'm going through the manual and even in that they don't spell out which line goes were. In short you shouldn't be able to get the hydraulic lines incorrect. Not without at least bending them or something like that. What kind of problem are you having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're bent
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hmmmm.... Are you trying to do the lines between the trim pump and inner transom plate? Or the lines between the cylinders and the manifolds that are tucked inside the outer transom plate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Between manifold and trim cylinders. I looked at a parts diagram it looks like the starboard side hoses go top to top bottom to bottom .the port. Side go top of manifold to bottom of cylinder and bottom of manfild to top of cylinder
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I looked at a parts diagram it looks like the starboard side hoses go top to top bottom to bottom .the port. Side go top of manifold to bottom of cylinder and bottom of manifold to top of cylinder
That's correct. Click this link below to pull up a picture. This is probably what you have already seen. But the lines would get installed as shown in the picture.
http://i.imgur.com/WQeAtky.jpg
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hooked them up like diagram . When l operate the trim one.cylinder goes.in the other.goes out.my original problem was water in oil reservoir locked up trim motor .I took pump apart soaked.in gas for few.days.it freeed.up when Iput every thing together and cross threaded trim cylinder and line bought new.parts installed . Cylinders operating opposition direction
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried reversing the lines on one of the cylinders?