Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1989 90 hp johnson it has set inside 5-6 years after

Customer Question

1989 90 hp johnson it has set inside for about 5-6 years after being winterized the boat has only been used 6 times less than 20 hrs on motor. I started it today after getting the old gas out and put new plugs in.it strated but will only run if I keep pushing in the key for choke it feels like the ball needs pumped each time I start it almost like its starving for gas but choking it has me stumped
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. The problem the engine has is the carbs are going to be clogged from all the sitting. When the engine runs, there is a fuel and oil mix inside of the carbs float bowls, where the fuel jets are. When the engine is left to sit, the fuel evaporates first, and the fuel left overs turns into a varnish. And the oil more or less hangs around, but over time, it turns into a goo. That's what the problem is going to be, and is why it only runs when you choke it. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes do I need to pull carbs and clean and do I need rebuild kits or just gasket sets and is seafood good to add to gas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U still here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seafoam.lol
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The carbs would have to come off and be opened up to be properly cleaned. Honestly seafoam doesn't do that much, it's pretty weak. If it actually worked the manufactures would simply copy it and rebrand it and call it their own.
Did you have any further questions on this?
--Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sorry to bother you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Oh it's no bother at all. I am here to help so I want to make sure I get all your questions answered for you. If there was something I missed or if you had a further question on this, just let me know. If not, You should see the ratings box now. If you do end up having a further question about this later you can still come back and ask, doing the ratings does not close out the questions. If you can not see the ratings box please reply back "I rate Jason's Service ________" And fill in the blank.
Thanks in advance and happy boating!
Jason