Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2010 Yamaha 2 stroke 8 hp. Start cord won't pull. removed

Customer Question

2010 Yamaha 2 stroke 8 hp. Start cord won't pull. removed recoil starter, removed plugs still won't budge
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. .If it will not budge with the plugs out then either the motor is sieized or the lower unit has blown gears. When was last time this ran? Have you checked gear oil in it to see if there was metal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last December I had it running in the shop. I carried it down to the dock put it on my dinghy tried to pull the starter and it wouldn't budge
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When the engine runs the 3 gears in the lower unit always spin regardless of if the engine is in gear or not. You can start by draining the oil and seeing if there is actually any oil in it, and if there is, if it is good and clean. if there is no oil in it, or if there are metal chunks. The lower unit is likely fine and that points to the powerhead being seized up. If the lower unit oil looks good. Step 2 would be to drop the lower unit and spin the driveshaft on the lower, and then try to spin the flywheel again on the engine. One will spin and one will not. So that's what needs to be done. How far or how deep would you like to take this?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping you would reply back but it looks like you read my response and logged off. I do want to make sure I get all your questions answered. So If there was something I missed or if you had a further question on this, just let me know. If not, You should see the ratings box now. If you do end up having a further question about this later you can still come back and ask, doing the ratings does not close out the questions. If you can not see the ratings box please reply back "I rate Jason's Service ________" And fill in the blank.
Thanks in advance and good luck!
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Drained the oil and it's clean w/ no metal. Had carb problem in December, cleaned card, engine ran fine in shop in tank, took it down to dock 30 minutes late and the cord would't pull. seemed like a mechanical stop or some thing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else this could be besides the engine being seized. Just seems strange that it runs fine and 30 minutes later it won't pull
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What is the actual model number on this engine?
You said you tried to rotate it by hand with the plugs out, is there any rotation at all from the flywheel, or is it completely stuck?
When did it actually run, yesterday, or last year?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tag is torn looks like it ends in SMH below that is 6NO S (###) ###-####MBK Industries .. product assembled in FranceNo rotationRan December 31 2014 about 2 pm in my shop. 1/2 hour later after transporting down to dinghy dock - seemed locked and wouldn't pull
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is the unit in neutral?
Also, when you tried to turn the flywheel by hand did you remote the recoil starter to do that, or did you just sneak your hands in underneath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in neutralremoved recoil starter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing that comes to mind here is there is a neutral lock out. If some part of that was broken the flywheel could be jamming on it. If you look at where the rope is, to the left of that you should see a control cable that attaches to some plastic linkage. When you move the cable from an in gear position back to neutral you should see a plastic arm that comes in contact with the flywheel. Can you locate this on the engine and let me know what it's doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The recoil unit is off. On it to the left of the cord is a hole that holds a piston which engages to flywheel - i removed the piston early on
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I hate to say it your back to either a seized engine or a seized/blown lower unit. Is dropping the lower unit something you want to get into?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Just checking in to see how you made out. I know it's odd for a 2010 to be seized up, but I am genuinely curious as to what you've found.