Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Q5i 2008 Tahoe, won't start. Battery fully charged, changed

Customer Question

Q5i 2008 Tahoe, won't start. Battery fully charged, changed the key starter, checked all the fuses, ran a jumper wire on starter all to no avail.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Is the engine cranking over but not starting, or is it not cranking over at all?
Which engine do you have in the boat, do you have the serial number on it handy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason, it is not cranking at all. We thought it might be the key starter because in the past we had to jiggle a wire on it to get it to start. First it usually beeps before starting. After replacing, still nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I have 190 hp mercury cruise, inboard/outboard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes is get the serial #, give me a minute
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the key to run, do the gauges come alive?
When did this problem start? Has anybody changed the battery, or charged it in place, or tried to jumpstart it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the Alpha One 190 hp serial # ***** The problem started last year boating season. However, every time we played with the wire it would start. Yes battery fully charged. I had it checked at auto zone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our next move is to try and jumpstart it. Can you tell me the proper procedure so we do not mess it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh sorry, yes the horn, gauges, and trim all work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but you do not have to turn the key for that. Just flip power switch.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hold the key to start with 1 hand, and with the other hand wiggle the shifter back and forth. Does it attempt to start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We I think he did try that a couple of times. Nothing..
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The flow of power runs from the battery, through the main fuse, through the circuit breaker, up the harness to the key switch, through the neutral switch in the shifter box. Down the harness to the slave solenoid on the engine, and then over to the starter solenoid. Since you have power to the key switch the problem lays between the switch and engine. The lower of power will have to be traced with a voltmeter. Do you have a meter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we do, he is going to try that too, but not sure if he knows exactly what to look for. Yes we are both tower crane operators and know basic electric.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Start with this. Remove they key switch and turn the key to run, What do you show for voltage on the purple wire? Next, turn the key to start, what od you show for voltage out of the yellow/red wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, we will. He is at work right now so will have to try either later on or tomorrow. What type of reading should we get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know exactly the wires you are talking about since we replace the key starter.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You should get a reading close to battery voltage. a standing battery is 12.5 volts. You should get at least 11V out of the keyswitch in those respective positions. Also check the red power wire that goes into the keyswitch to make sure it has a good connection. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes very much so. Thank you for your input. I will let you know how it goes..
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You got it and I was glad I could help. Let me know what you get for results. It might pop out at you as soon as you remove the key switch.
--Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks, ***** ***** nice day.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You as well. Keep me posted.
--Jason