Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan i m working on a 1995 volvo penta dp-s now bought boat

Customer Question

hi tan
i m working on a 1995 volvo penta dp-s now bought boat last year completly re done and when i remove out drives twin engine one the shaft and snap rings bearing fell out come to find person had flywheel and coupler replaced and also found the part that houses everything was upside down. so switch that and started putting back together the shaft doesn't go in far enough to hit the splines. did the same way as the other side.now the bearing didn't look like your standard gimble bearing. so i went to napa and matched it. also looking at dp-s diagram it says seal/ bearing/snap ring/small snap ring/snap ring/seal. now i bought the first seal from volvo and fits shaft but not housing housing t big. how much shaft should be sticking out because my buddy set it up since first seal really didn t do anything snap ring/seal/bearing/small snap ring/snap ring. and seem to work on one side but coupler has about 2 inch cone and i think thats why we n the splines there . wish i could type faster. lol
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. What engine do you have? I'm not sure I follow what is happening. The part that houses everything??? Do you mean the flywheel housing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

5.8 engines. 351 and yes fly wheel housing. it is really confusing . you can look at diagram at MarnePrtsEurope.com volvo penta exploded view/schematic flywheel housing and primary shaft.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Are these the snap rings and seals you are referring to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i have a single bearing set up . that is a two bearing set up.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Can show me what you are looking at in this link? http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineDrivesTransmissions.aspx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=volvo+penta+exploded+view/flywheel+housing+and+primary+shaft&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.justanswer.com%2Fboat%2F6rd7m-working-1995-volvo-penta-dp-c-1-drive-unit.html&ei=rltNVYbSJsbHsQSZxIGoBQ&bvm=bv.92885102,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNHcsjvlpLbNJc7S4ku9yS_1DcdfzA&ust=1431219442332119

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That link didn't work.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok found it. It was listed under the engine not the drive. Is this your set up?http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7797***-**-****3.aspx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes that is it. now my question is the first seal #9 is to small for the housing . and how much shaft should be sticking out for the drive to hook up.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The seal goes in the housing up inside infront of the bearing. The shaft has to be sticking out about 3" . Are the snap rings in their grooves in the housing and the shaft. Do you know if the replaced the thrust bushing in the flywheel? If they didn't that won't allow the shaft to stick out far enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i just went out and took the bearing off stuck shaft in as far as it would go took the u joint shaft and put it on and seemed ok . when i was looking for pic for you found another pic looked the same but first seal had different part number. now can t find it again. what really has me messed up is first seal . because snap ring grooves are too far apart for just a bearing . and yes they are in grooves. let me ask this should bearing be all the way in to lip or should seal hit lip?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The bearing should be all the way to the lip. The shaft and bearing locations are more important than the seals.There are 2 snap ring grooves 1 snap ring holds the bearing and shaft in place the other snap ring is in the outer most groove that the seal goes up against. Both # ***** snap ring have their own groove. Then the small snap ring goes on the shaft holding the bearing and shaft in the location.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok if i drive bearing all the way to lip first snap ring about 1/8 away from bearing if we put seal in that space it is good. betweenbearing and first snap ring groove. and has to be #8 . #9 doesn t do anything will just ride up shaft to motor

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. Seal # ***** is to keep water out of the bearing from the engine side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

but if you look at daigram there is another snap ring then the seal. what holds the bearing from moving back and forth the 1/8 inch

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is 3 snap rings. 2 large and one small. The forward most snap ring large holds the bearing in the housing. The the small snap ring holds the shaft and bearing in place. Then the aft most snap ring is what the aft seal goes up against. That's it. The bearing shouldn't move in the 1/8 space if everything is installed correctly. The only way the bearing will move is if the shaft is sliding back and forth in the housing. It should not move any so the bearing isn't going to move in that space.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not a good answer then why even put the first large snap ring in.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I didn't design it. I will opt out as you don't like my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i ve put bearings in my omc and there was no room left between bearing and ring had to hit it to snap in. that s why i m asking. just don t same right.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The unit is 20 years old it is possible it has been damaged over the years. If the bearing and shaft have seized at one time or another they will spin in the housing making the housing bigger. You did say the bearing is from NAPA is it exactly the same?