Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Well, I would like to know what this is going to cost me f

Customer Question

Well, I would like to know what this is going to cost me first
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. This will cost you the deposit you put up. This is most likely the oil sending unit. What we need to do is remove the oil pressure sending unit and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. This will verify that the oil pressure in the motor is correct. If oil pressure is correct and doesn't peg the gauge then you have a bad oil sending unit. The other possibility is the sender wires is touching or shorting to ground or the gauge is bad. When the gauge pegs disconnect the wire on the sending unit. If the gauge stays pegged then the wire is shorted to ground or the gauge is shorting. If gauge goes to zero then the sender is the problem. If it stays pegged remove the sender wire from the back of the gauge. If the gauge stays pegged then the gauge is bad. If the gauge goes to zero then the sender wire is shorting to ground. Do you follow this test procedure? This is a process of elimination. We do want to verify that the engine oil pressure is correct.