Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I just purchased a grady white 192 tournament with a 175 Johnson

Customer Question

I just purchased a grady white 192 tournament with a 175 Johnson ficht. First run seems to lack power and i hear a slight thump. Idles and shifts excellent. Anything I should know about this motor?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
First of all I will need the model number of the engine. I am assuming it is regaining power? After how long? Since you just purchased this boat, did you test run it? Did it mess up then?Does it just hesitate slightly when you throttle up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number not immediately available. Full throddle runs at 3600 rpm. Feels like there should be more. The slight thump every few seconds concerns me. Maybe the prop is slipping. Maybe something more common to these engines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thump is slight and sjort. No rpm change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1998 johnson ocean runner 175
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Labeled ocean runner and ficht
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Usually thumping is gears and clutch dog slipping from excessive wear. Is it doing it in reverse as well?Full throttle at 3600 is about 3000 too little!The engine is a computer controlled. It is possible the engine is in guardian mode protecting the engine due to a failure it is picking up. If you have the SystemsCheck gauges or tach are you getting any lights or warning horn when running?If not then you need to take the boat to a qualified shop. They will have the computer and diagnostic software to read the parameters of the engine and see if there is any trouble codes or reading out of normal.Has the engine been sitting? Could be bad filters throughout the fuel system. Fuel problems will most commonly not show as a trouble code. You will need fuel injector gauges to check the fuel system and see if it is pumping properly. You will also want to do a compression and spark test to make sure those are good as well. The early FICHT engines, of which yours is one, had problems with the spark plugs building up carbon as well. Check these but make sure you put them back in the same cylinders as they are indexed to the cylinder.Post back how you want to proceed and the answers to my questions if possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know how long I can use your time. But need time to consider your response with some diligence
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Sure no hurry take as much time as you need.