Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a hot purple wire coming from coil when I turn on the

Customer Question

Have a hot purple wire coming from coil when I turn on the key switch.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
What are you working on exactly, and what problem are you trying to correct?
Also, when you say you have a hot purple wire coming from the coil... Do you mean physically hot to the touch? Or do you mean it shows voltage with a meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hot to the touch.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay... What engine are you working on? Do you have a model or serial number on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3.0 mercruiser ser#OB802546
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That would be the serial number for the sterndrive. Do you happen to have the one for the engine? It would be just above the starter motor on a metal plate.
What kind of problem are you having?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ser# ***** ***** away. Anyway it was running awesome at a slow cruise then suddenly died. I tried to restart and nothing until I and it started at high idle but when I backed the throttle off it died again. Went back to the engine to see what was going on I forgot I left the key switch on and found the hot wire.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine have points ignition on it?
Have you checked for spark with a timing light or adjustable gap spark tester?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was all fixed last year as well as a full tune up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even disconnected the 2 wires from the coil and wire still heats up when I turn the key to on.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does the engine have points ignition on it? Can you tell me for certainty yes or no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I believe it does.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you have points ignition that wire will be hot to the touch. It what they call a resistor wire. Resistors create heat. If you look on the inside of a basic light bulb, that filament is a resistor, and that is why a light bulb gets hot as well. So it is normal for that wire to be hot to the touch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hot enough to melt other wires it comes in contact with?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Not that hot. Did the wire melt it's own insulation off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started to melt the wire it comes from the coil with.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. now what are your questions exactly? What is it your looking from me information wise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I just pulled the distributor cap, turned the key to the on position and the wire didn't heat up. I briefly engaged the starter and left the key switch on and the wire continues to overheat again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it my points, starter or should I just take it in?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Its either the coil or the points that are causing the wire to heat up that much. The wire will get hot. But if the point or the coil are shorted, that would make it run hotter than it should. I don't know what you have for tooling but the points and condenser are both testable with an autoranging digital multimeter. Do you have, and more importantly know how to use, a multimeter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a screwdriver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I'm down to just havin mechanic hook me up rite so I don't blow myself up.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Well I guess not then. Did you have any other questions for me? Are you happy with my service so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You were a good help. It's just beyond my knowledge to go any further. I hate electrical! Thanks for the time.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome and I was glad I could help. If there was something I missed or if you did have a further question on this, just let me know. If not, You should see the ratings box now. If you do end up having a further question about this later you can still come back and ask, doing the ratings does not close out the questions. If you can not see the ratings box please reply back "I rate Jason's Service ________" And fill in the blank.
Thanks in advance and happy boating!
Jason