Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Am considering buying 24 ft small cabin cruiser, fiberglass.,

Customer Question

Am considering buying 24 ft small cabin cruiser, fiberglass., with OMC 305 inboard & stern drive, 1986 model, engine rebuilt, has 70 hrs. No service record on outdrive.
Is this engine enough for cruising @ 10-15 knots, am older , don,t need speed.
Your opinion?..
Thanks, Bill
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello Bill. My name is***** will be assisting you.Yes that is plenty of power for a boat of that size. The things to consider on this engine and drive are avaiibilty of parts and someone that will work on something of this age. The engine isn't a problem to get parts for as it is a GM base engine. If you have any problems with the drive it can be difficult to find parts for. If the drive has any major failures there are allot of the parts that aren't available anymore.Personally I would be looking for something with a Volvo or Mercruiser drive and later model. Post back with questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, thanks for info. Bill
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Bill. Thank you........Tan I looked up some of the parts for the drive. The upper gear set is obsolete for that drive. So the drive is useless with just having upper gear failure. Water in the drive or seal failure can cause gear loss. Since you know nothing about the drive I would stay away. Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is how I get credit for helping you. Thank you.......Tan