Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2001 sea ray amberjack had three warning beeps when I shut

Customer Question

2001 sea ray amberjack had three warning beeps when I shut down the battery
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.

How long have you owned this boat?

How many wires are on the back of the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10years and three wires. The warning beep was while turning the switch off. Never heard that before. I powered back up and shut down to only be met by the same results
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Have you recently replaced the stereo on the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Two speakers. Factory replacement. No cutting or anything like that. We did use an FM transmitter to play music from the phone thru the boats speakers. It plugs into the cig lighter and you tune to 88.1 station and play your music from the phone. That's it. And the speakers were replaced two weeks ago
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Was the phone still plugged in when you turned off the batteries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not at all
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Most of the time a beep like that is going to come from the stereo on the boat. Try this, unplug the harness from the rear of the radio, power the boat up on all battery switches. If in the water start the engines and the generator. After a few minutes stop all engines, then turn off one battery switch at a time. Have a helper listening in the boat for those beeps. After all the switches are off, if you did not hear the beeping, it was just the radio and nothing to worry about. Very common for them to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still three beeps. Also yesterday the radio was off from the panel before shutting down. Thx
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell where in the boat the beeping is coming from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The warning alarm! On the dash
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok but with the engine key off,you should not be getting anything from the engine warning horn at all. unless your key switch is failing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would give me beeps if something was on like a light switch. And to tell you the truth, I don't remember if my key switch was on
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The engine buzzer should not be connected to the boats systems. They should be 2 different systems. They both may be monitored at the helm, but they are separate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what should I look for?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Which engine do you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8.1 horizons
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok,
Locate the main engine harness plug. It is large and round. Disconnect it with the batteries off. Turn on all power, except the keys to the engines. Wait a few minutes, then power down the batteries one at a time, listen to see if you hear the horn still. This will eliminate the engines as the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfectly
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Have you done this already?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I will tomorrow
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Great, Please let me know. I will not be online much tomorrow night, have a family event planned. I will be here most of the day on Sat though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sat it is! Thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. Talk to you then.