Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How do know if my 2004 Mercury 225 hp four stoke outboard engine

Customer Question

How do know if my 2004 Mercury 225 hp four stoke outboard engine has an anti corrosion kit?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. All Mercurys have sacrificial anodes as standard equipment. Can you explain more by what you mean by "anti corrosion kit"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been told that these engines are notorious for corrosion in the mid sectio and that Mercury has upgraded parts kit to combat this issue.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ah yes you are talking about the exhaust corrosion. There isn't any kind of "kit" so to speak. Basically just an upgraded exhaust pipe with an epoxy coating on it that does not rot. The only way to tell if you have it would be to reasearch the service history on that specific motor. Did you just buy this engine? What kind of paperwork doyou have on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm the second owner, but the seller did provide lots of documentation. Not sure if that includes service history. What other indications should I look for?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What you want to look through is see if the "exhaust tuner" or "exhaust pipe" was replaced. It would be a big number. What you would be looking for is a reciept for service thats over 3k. The nickle and dime stuff you can browse over. The exhaust replacement would start at 3k and go up from there. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Thanks. Will do!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome and i was glad I could help. I think that about covers it. If there was something I missed or if you had a further question on this, just let me know. If not, You should see the ratings box now. If you do end up having a further question about this later you can still come back and ask, doing the ratings does not close out the questions. If you can not see the ratings box please reply back "I rate Jason's Service ________" And fill in the blank. Tips are always greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy boating!
Jason