Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1985 mercury XR2 (150). Motor runs fine until I

Customer Question

I have a 1985 mercury XR2 (150). Motor runs fine until I bring the boat up on plane. In about 5 minutes the console does a beep, beep, beep. Temp gauge looks fine and motor shoots water. It has oil in tank. Longer it runs on plane, the beep, beep, beep continues.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Beeping is an indication of lack of oil, either low oil or not oiling. In your case if the tank is all the way full it would be no oil. DO NOT run the engine.On the port side of the engine near the bottom of the powerhead is the oil pump. It has a sender next to the oil pump with a couple wires coming from it. It detects rotation of the oil pump.Carefully remove the oil pump, just a couple of small machine screws. When the oil pump is removed you will see a slotted shaft almost flush with the block.Remove all of the spark plugs.Lightly put a finger on the slotted shaft. Have a helper turn the engine over with the key switch just briefly. Just bump it. If the shaft does not turn then the drive gear on the crankshaft is bad. If the shaft does turn then the oil module may be bad.Check this and let me know your results and we can go from there on further diagnosis and options on repair.Thanks