Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a 2013 Tahoe deck boat and the depth gauge does not

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Tahoe deck boat and the depth gauge does not work. When I disconnect the gauge from the factory wiring and connect the power to the 12v switched circuit it still doesn't power on. But when it's connected to factory wiring its turns on only on acc.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today.
Is the gauge reading correctly when it does turn on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I even replaced it with a new gauge
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The way that your boat is wired is that pretty much everything is run off the ACC position of the key switch. This is all done at the factory. Even the radio is wired that way. It is not the best way to do it, but it is just how Tahoe does it.
Is there any other questions that you have about the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the ignition switch is in the run position. Not the acc position. That's the only gauge that does not turn on. It never has and I bought the boat brand new. From the factory the +12 v of the gauge is wired in parallel with all the other gauges. I'm thinking there's a problem with where they connected the black wire.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
The ground should go to the fuse block. It is going to be through a few other connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What terminal in the fuse block so I can bypass the factory connection? Also, the purple wires on the factory side of the wiring that paralells the gauges is purple correct?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Purple is correct. that is the power wire. On the fuse panel, if you have a blank screw on the ground side, splice into the black from the depth finder just outside of the gauge and run a new wire to the ground. Bypass everything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no terminal labeled depth Finder. Is there another I can use?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
You can use any of the black wire connectors. The ones labeled should be the power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work. Is there a chance this gauge is polarity sensitive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also when the key is in the run position the other gauges illumination lights come on. Not in the acc position. The error has to be tied to those two circuits
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is this a factory key switch in the boat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is. Can I wire the depth gauge directly to it. If so, what terminals?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Yes, A purple and run the black from the finder to the ground bus on the fuse block. But leave all of the other wires connected, if you remove any you will lose functions in the boat. You can also take it to the rear of the Master Power switch, so that it will come on when you turn on the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a master power switch. And where is it at?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Which deck boat do you have, 195 or 215?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
195
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Is there not a switch that says Master Power to the left of the steering wheel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just looked. No there is not
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Ok everything is wired through the key switch. It acts like a maser power for the boat, at least it should be.