TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic
Experience:  Former Kawasaki pwc tech. current Honda pwc tech.
8313095

My 2000 KAW 1100 ZXI cranks and sounds great. Once you put

Customer Question

My 2000 KAW 1100 ZXI cranks and sounds great. Once you put it in the water it just does not have the acceleration and top end it should have. It will go around 40-43 mph, but should run at least 55. I have aplug wire changed out last year and just no sure if that has something to do with it or a coil is bad and do not know how to check out the issue. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.
If the engine runs good but lacks top speed I water then the most likely cause is a problem with the jet pump. Check the condition of the impeller blades, there should be no chips or dings from rocks. Look at the wear ring inside the impeller housing for any sign of the impeller edge rubbing on the sing. This indicates the bearings are bad and another indication is excessive noise from the pump when it is run out of the water, when running in the water the noise will be dampened. Another thing to check is for a bad seal between the intake side of the pump and the hull silicone sealant at this joint. Any break or gap will allow the pump to suck air.