Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

2011 mercury 60 hp wont start has spark 42 psi fuel pressure

Customer Question

2011 mercury 60 hp wont start has spark 42 psi fuel pressure and inj pulse
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
Will it hit on starting fluid? Have you checked the compression yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes starts right up on carb cleaner comp 120
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
??????
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Have you run it on another fuel source yet to make sure you don't have water in the fuel? is there a story on this engine? Did it overheat or anything like that? The reason I ask is your compression is fairly low.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cked for water none engine hasn't been over heated pulled inj out cranked engine no spray out of ink but is inj pulse fuel pressure remains constant
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The engine is more than likely going to have a bad sensor on it. Do you have CDS or a capable scan tool to hook up to the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Without a scan tool there isn't anything you can do yourself, and you will have to take it in. This isn't going to be anything I can help you with.
Good luck!
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.
Your compression as noted is low. However on the rest you stated that there is injector pulse and the fuel pressure is correct. If this were both true it'd mean you either don't have fuel to the injector or that the injector though has pulse is not releasing fuel showing a bad injector. This is going off of the info you provided. That is about the only info I can further provide over what has been provided and I say this with all due respect because the motor will need to be connected to a proper diagnostic computer to diagnose the problem. Unfortunately with the advancement in technology now requires most things to be connected to diagnose problems correctly, there are also tests that can be run that without they simply cannot be done or at least done the same way. It is sad but it's true and unfortunately there's not much a owner can do now as like used to be able to with older engines when they were simple.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You were of no help there were no failed sensors it had 4 plugged injectors
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
I am a different expert and that is one of the things I did actually explain in my answer to you, I went over what you provided and I stated you said you had fuel pressure and injector pulse to which I stated it was most likely either lack of fuel to the injectors or the injectors not releasing the fuel, if an injector has fuel to it and pulse that means a failed injector or clog which is why I explained it the way I did......
I came in to assist you after the other expert because I read your remarks regarding fuel pressure and injector pulse which lead me to believe actual injector problems which i saw the other expert had NOT explained to you, being I knew that I wanted to get that info to you.
Thanks,
Joe
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Please note I am a different expert than the one that assisted you and referred to a bad sensor which if you see that experts name was Jason where as my name is ***** ***** I came in after the other expert they could no longer help you.
I just wanted you to be aware that I was/am a different expert and that I provided different info to you that did actually related to a problem with the injectors which is what you stated it ended up being.
If you need any further assistance please just let me know.
Otherwise have a good evening.
Thanks again!
- Joe