Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My starter went out on my 3.0 mercruiser I went to orielly

Customer Question

My starter went out on my 3.0 mercruiser I went to orielly auto parts they gave me one that matched the boat pattern. Now when I start the boat sometimes it grinds.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should have read the bolt pattern matched
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Personally I would either buy an OEM/Factory starter from Mercury Marine OR if you still have your original one, get that one rebuilt.
The difference between factory starters and the aftermarket stuff is in the housings. The housings might "look close". But if you were to actually break out large calipers and measure it they can be thousandths to hundreths (and sometimes more) larger or smaller than what the casting should be. When the manufacture makes the starter housings they actually do measure the housings, and they have to fit within certain tolerances. Those housings that are within spec get sold to OEM's, like Mercury Marine. Those housings that are not within spec, get sold on the open market, and aftermarket companies buy them up at a much lower price. Sometimes the starters you get aftermarket are okay, but other times dimmesnionally they are sized just differently enough to cause problems. You might have heard or read up about "shimiming" a starter, which is adding small shims between the starter and the engine block to space it out and pull the gear back. In most cases that has to be done with aftermarket starters. But with a factory starter shimming should never have to be done. As a pro, and also because I do work on a lot of bigger boats where the engine does have to be removed just to get at the starter, I only use factory starters. I know they are more expensive. But they always work the first time every time. And I never get burned on my time.
I think that about covers it. If there was something I missed or if you had a further question on this, just let me know. If not, You should see the ratings box now. If you do end up having a further question about this later you can still come back and ask, doing the ratings does not close out the questions. If you can not see the ratings box please reply back "I rate Jason's Service ________" And fill in the blank. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and happy boating!
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found a New marine starter mercruiser 3.0-8.2L 96-ON Volvo Penta on Amazon and also on DB Electrical website is this what I'm looking for?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No, those are going to be made in china aftermarket starters, and those will give you the same problem. All Mercrusiers are cataloged by serial number, if you can get me your serial number I'll be more than happy to look up the correct part number for you. Mercruiser uses a few different styles starters, and with the serial number I can get you the correct number.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in. Any luck with that serial number?