Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a merc 90 hp 2 stroke on 17 ft bass boat pulls like crazy

Customer Question

have a merc 90 hp 2 stroke on 17 ft bass boat pulls like crazy to right at any speed, have a trophy 4 blade prop
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. You didn't ask any kind of question, but I'm assuming your looking for help in correcting the issue. In which case I need a bunch more information from you in order to try and work through the problem. Please answer the questions below the best you can, that will help me help you.

1. Is there are story or history behind this boat? Has it ever been any better for you in the past, or different in the past? Or did you just buy the boat and this is the way it is?

2. Do you know which style steering system you have? Can you look up behind the wheel and get any numbers? Is the steering box behind the wheel round? Or is it kind of a long bar?

3. What is the year/make/model of the boat itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my question was I have a 17ft bass boat 90 hp 2 stroke with a trophy 4 blade prop, it pulls like crazy at any speed u really have to hold on to steering wheel.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to see previous reply? Or did it show up blank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont no what im doing i will go check the steering wheel now

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hey listen man I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything. We get quesitons from all over. I need to specifically from you what it is you are trying to ask. I know sometimes that not everybody speaks perfect english, or the same dialect of english. So no big deal. The reason I asked you so many quesitons back is because with some steering systems what you describe is normal. They are cheap and they stink and they are hard to steer, but they are cheap so people buy them, but hte issue is normal. But with other steering systems your concern would not be normal, and would indicate a problem. And thats why I need to know exactly what you have. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I no your not giving me a hard time...the web page goes to a different page every time i reply, no problem man. it is a 17 ft express bass boat, about 1993 because the merc is a 93, to the best of my knowledge. it always had this problem, im thinking i may need a 3 blade prop and just take off the 4 blade, ive aldready adjusted the fin on the motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I no your not giving me a hard time...the web page goes to a different page every time i reply, no problem man. it is a 17 ft express bass boat, about 1993 because the merc is a 93, to the best of my knowledge. it always had this problem, im thinking i may need a 3 blade prop and just take off the 4 blade, ive aldready adjusted the fin on the motor. the steering system is a flex tube? not the round cable type of steering.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry if the web site is giving you trouble. Click on this picture below. Does your steerning system look like the on one the left or the right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry, i cant pull the pic up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ill have to get back with you, thank you very much

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Can you not see my picture? I can repost it if need be.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you can, just send me a picture of the steering box behind your wheel, and we can go from there. --Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its a teleflex cable

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Click this link to pull up a picture. Can you see this picture?