Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Jason, My 2000 150 Merc xr6 (carbureted) is acting

Customer Question

Hey there Jason, My 2000 150 Merc xr6 (carbureted) is acting funny again. Last year it was bogging out and barely running, turned out to be water in my gas. $900 and three rebuilt carbs later it was starting and running great, that was November. Since
then, I've had the boat out maybe 3-4 times with no issues at all. I took it out this weekend and I had to choke it to get it to start (this is the first time I've had to do that since November but its been over a month since I've had it out so that's really
not too unusual). Then after running up the river for 15 minutes at nearly WOT I slowed down to an idle too look at something and it the motor died. It was difficult to get started, I squeezed the primer on the fuel line and after about five minutes I managed
to get it started. This occured everytime I tried to idle. It even happened once or twice once because I didn't get it into gear and punch it quickly enough. Thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Opt out.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked the fuel for water again? Take the fuel line off at the engine and using the primer bulb put some fuel into a clear glass jar. Let it sit for a few minutes, water will separate and settle at the bottom of the jar.
Next remove the small slotted drain plugs are the bottom side of each carb. Drain the fuel into some paper towels and see again if you are getting any water.
If no water get a spark tester, you can find them at most auto parts stores. Get an adjustable model. Set the gap for 7/16". Put the tester into the #1 spark plug wire. Top right. Crank the engine over and check for a good spark. Repeat on the other 5 cylinders.
Here we are looking to see if one or more cylinders are not firing.
Post back with your results.
Thanks