Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

1984 150hp outboard serial no.(###) ###-####Idle is too fast 1150

Customer Question

1984 150hp outboard serial no.(###) ###-####Idle is too fast 1150 to 1200 rpm.Need to get
it down to 800 rpm.How do I adjust the idle speed?The boat is not in the water and will
hook a water supply to it before start up.Engine runs fine otherwise.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Can you do some rudimentary adjustments to the engine? Are you familiar with the engine itself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm familiar with the engine and understand it's mechanism.Let me what to do..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
OK, on the port side of the engine is the throttle link and arm.Look at the arm and just above the latch that attaches the cable is a screw with a nut on it. With the control in neutral/idle speed this screw should be against the tab on the block. If it isn't then turn the latch and remove the end of the throttle cable from the throttle arm.Can you push the throttle arm against the stop? Does the throttle cable pull out a bit so it is even with the attachment point? What we are trying to do is determine where the problem is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know what to do now.I understand what you're saying.I'll do this in the afternoon today. Thank you.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
Great!