Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 89 glastron with 5.0 mercruiser, thunderbolt ignition.

Customer Question

I have a 89 glastron with 5.0 mercruiser, thunderbolt ignition. will crank and run for about 3 minutes then cuts off, as soon as the boat stops in the water I can crank it. Plain off and it does the same thing. I can slowly drive it back to the boat house. I changed coil, distributor sensor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, little chip on the side of manifold. Even straight wired the coil form the battery to bypass all safety switches, still cuts off, but keep in mind, always cranks back up.HELP!!!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** will be helping you today. I read what you wrote. What kinds of questions did you have and what ar eyou looking to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fix my boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what other options do I have?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is this a carbureted engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, sorry, it was just rebuilt.2 weeks ago.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Does the boat have a tachometer?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are a couple of things you need to do. What you want to start with running the engine off of another fuel supply, an outboard style portable fuel tank complete with a primer bulb would be best. If the engine runs better on the portable without you having to do anything else then there is a problem with the fuel supply in the tank. Either the tank isn't venting, there is crap in the tank blocking the pickup tube, or the antisiphon valve is not flowing correctly. If it still does the same thing on the portable tank. What you want to do next is pump the primer bulb over and over and over and force fuel to the engine. If the engine picks back up, the fuel pump on the engine is weak and not keeping up. Does that make sense? How did you want to leave this. Did you have any further questions I could answer for you?Thanks,Jason