Chris
Chris, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced personal watercraft tech
5111025

I have a 1994 Kawasaki 750 Jet Ski with new battery and its

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Kawasaki 750 Jet Ski with new battery and its not turning over or nothing... Fuse Is Good
Category: Boat
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Is the starter clicking when the start button is depressed? Have you tried to spin the engine over with the spark plugs out? Are you able to turn the engine from the PTO at the rear of the engine where the drive shaft connects?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The engine does spin with spark plugs out. I do not hear the starter clicking at all. I do have the fuel level sensor out of the tank. (Didn't think that would matter) just trying to hear or test if it fires up..

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Lets see if you are able to spin the engine over by hand, often times after a period of storage, the impeller wear ring will develop rust inside and squeeze the impeller, resulting in a locked up engine or cant make I appear to be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The impeller does spin. I can't get to it from the outside so grabbed 5he shaft 8n the hull and it spun..

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Lets next check for voltage at the starter when the start button is depressed and the lanyard installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will have to open up the box and find the starter and have to get back to you as son as I can do that.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
No problem, let me know what you find
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok here is a top overview.. it says starter + now do I have to open the whole box or can we test from there? Also the white wire on right hand side looks like a ground bit not connected to anything. Does that need to be connected and where?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You can test from the + for now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris I tested from the positive on the starter to the negative on the battery and got no voltage with the start button pushed in and without and that's also with the safety around the stop

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok you will need to take the electrical box apart at this point and inspect the starter solenoid. Look for broken connections, corroded wires, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Took that apart and don't see any loose or burnt connections... Here is a photo..

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Next lets check for voltage at the red wire leading to the starter solenoid when the start button is depressed, if you find there is battery voltage and the starter is not spinning, the solenoid is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

Checked the red wire from the starter relay (to battery negative) and found voltage. It looks like that goes to a fuse and then after 2 other connections it looks like it leads to the start stop (not 100% sure) here is the red wire I checked from relay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here are the 3 colors that lead up to the start stop or what I think they go to

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also just wanted to check... it seems like the black is the negative from starter relay. The red/yellow is going to the start switch and the red wire is going to the fuel level indicator each had 12v with me not pressing anything.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
So to be clear. The red wire does energize when the start button is depressed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say depressed do you mean not pressed in. Here is a diagram it shows the red wire is coming from the battery, the red/yellow goes to the start button. Both had power with not doing anything.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
I mean do you get power to the wires in question when the start button is pressed in? We are trying to determine if the electrical system is telling the solenoid to send power to the starter, if it is, the solenoid is faulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the print the #8 is the starter relay. When you say solenoid what item are you referring to? And when you say depressed do you mean to press the start button?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here are the 2 prints so we can be on the same page and understand what you mean by depressed and solenoid

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
The larger wires outside of the box are not in question right now, i am looking to see if the solenoid is receiving power when you push in the start button with the lanyard installed, if we are relieving power and the solenoid is not clicking, it is the issue here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When you say solenoid do you mean the starter relay? Also the red wire looks like it is connected from the positive side of the battery so do you want me to check that or the red/yellow wire? Just want to clarify

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Relay is the same component. Red/yellow wire appears to be the trigger wire. Does it have battery voltage when you press the green start button ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

Just checked and the yellow/red line has a connection so i disconnected it and tested from the relay side of the line has voltage when press or not. Now the line going to the start button (same yellow and red) when the start is not pressed it has no voltage but when pressed it does have voltage . Do you need a photo of the line or you understand what I mean?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
If that wire is sending power to the solenoid and it is not engaging the starter. The solenoid is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a way to jump it out to verify it is that and if so and that was the cause and I did replace it and it was the problem can there be anything else that would keep it from cranking?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
It is not uncommon for that part to fail. If you jump the wire leading to the starter and the wire coming from the battery together at the solenoid, the starter should spin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

I did do that and it turned over but wouldn't start I'm sure it will need some cleaning and all. But what would you recommend to do since it's been sitting for a bit. I did clean the carb and the gas sensor looked shot ty but will try cleaning it and measure resistance to see if it works. Is there anything else you feel I should try?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
That tells us the starter is good. It will take some cranking to get fuel from the tank to the carb, i would not recommend you continue to crank the engine by jumping the solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

Thank you and will update you as I install it. I bought 1 yesterday. I will rate you as soon as I get it in just in case any other questions or the problems still arise. I appreciate your work so far

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

I replaced the starter relay and it still is not working. I did jump the terminals from the starter to battery and it tries to run. Is there another way I can test something or can it be anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris, Any other thing you can think of I just want to get it working and end this topic. Hope to hear from you soon.