Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 115HP Mercury Outboard and it must not be pumping

Customer Question

I have a 115HP Mercury Outboard and it must not be pumping oil as the unit starts but the buzzer will not stop. How can I tell if it is taking oil?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. Is the alarm constant or a real fast intermittent sound? Could I get the engine serial number please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
constant #37-825065
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Constant isn't oil that is over heat. Is the engine pumping water out the tell tale water indicator? On the back of the motor near the top spark plug is a Tan wire connected to the temp sensor. Disconnect this wire does the alarm quit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no wire there this engine has a water outlet and I just put in a new guage and line but was afraid toi run it because i thought that it was not getting oil; I can check it out if it is safe to run and detirmine if there is sufficient cooling
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
In this link click here # ***** is the temp sensor. Follow that wire to a connection. The oil alarm is a fast on off alarm. From your description a constant alarm it is over heat. Meaning there is a temp sensor.So you are safe to run the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks i will go from there, if I still hit a dead end I will contact you again
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok you can reply as you have been even after you have rated. Your welcome...........Thank you.........Tan Please don't forget to rate positively as that is how I get credit for helping you. Thank you.......Tan
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Oil warning module p/n 14857A11