Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2003 Mercury 115 4 stroke. We'll be going along at WOT on plane

Customer Question

2003 Mercury 115 4 stroke. We'll be going along at WOT on plane and all of a sudden it drops down to idle. No alarm goes off and we are able to resume off of idle right away. No other problems present. This has happened at least 4 or 5 times now between this year and last year. Had a problem last year with loss of power, had the injectors cleaned/tested, replaced 1 that was stuck and that problem was solved. Recently replaced idle speed motor to repair an idle problem. Plugs and fuel filter have been replaced as well. Just so you know what's been done recently. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. I have a couple of question back to you.1. Do you happen to have the serial number of the engine handy. All Mercs are cataloged by serial, and that will tell me exactly what you have. 2. Does the alarm system work? Does it beep each time you start it? 3. Does this problem happen on a cycle? Will it repeat over and over at a certain interval? Can you repeat it? 4. Have you done any troubleshooting on your own yet, and if so, what have you done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial number OT686192. I've heard the alarm go off with an overheat situation about 3 years ago so I believe it works but I've never heard it when I start. I don't notice it happening at any given time, seems to be random and I cannot repeat it. No troubleshooting on this specific problem yet.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you go to start it right now, a this very second, will the alarm beep when you turn the key?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I'm away from the boat right now. I'll be back to it in about 5hrs. I'll let you know at that time.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Le me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not hear a chirp when key is turned on. From my understanding some do and some don't and they typically will when the key switch in mounted inside the remote control. Mine is not mounted in a remote control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not ever recall hearing a chirp. I've owned this rig for about 6 years.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You need to take it in. This is not something we can solve online