Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Just purchased a 1999 evinrude 9.9 4 stroke. The engine will

Customer Question

Just purchased a 1999 evinrude 9.9 4 stroke. The engine will not stop by pressing the stop switch. I have just received a new switch has 2 wires. One with a ring on the end and the other with a pin. part number(###) ###-#### I have 2 questions.
1. It looks like i should be able to pull the wire with the pin end from a round rubber block and just plug in the new wire. Is it that simple?
2 It looks like I will have to remove the rope housing to remove and attach the wire with the circle connector. Is that the process or is there a simpler way?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
The pin does go into the connector. Use rubbing alcohol as a lube putting the new wire/pin in. Use a thin straight pick to carefully push it in. The ring terminal goes to ground on the ignition module, the system grounds the ignition to stop it.