Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2007 115 HP Yamaha outboard with 220 hours, fresh

Customer Question

I have a 2007 115 HP Yamaha outboard with 220 hours, fresh water only. Today when I cranked it and ran for a very short time, maybe 1 or 2 minutes, realized no water coming from the tell tale pee hole. I removed the engine cowl and the engine was no extremely hot to the touch. NO alarm or anything ever went off. I feel for sure that the water pump is shot. I have this in a motorized covered slip and had lowered the engine into water at least over the cavitation plate.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you. If the engine isn't over heating you might have a clogged tell tale. Get a piece of wire and clear the hole of the tell tale with engine running. Now how long has it been since you had the water pump serviced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not had the water pump serviced, It is original part. As I stated earlier the engine only has 220 easy fresh water hours on it. Most of what I've read indicates a pump should be replaced around 200 hours. Guess I pushed this one. The engine never gave any signs over overheating and it is on the back end of a pontoon. There was never any audible alarm but then I am not sure that there is one on the Godfrey Marine toon. I ordered this boat brand new and am the only owner of it. Replacement of the pump is pretty straight forward and I will have it done when I return from Europe in about 7 days,

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes the pump is over due. The pump should be serviced every 200 hours of use or every 2 years of use or which ever comes first. The indications of a failing pump start with the strength of the tell tale stream. The stream will get weaker over time till it quits. Then the alarm sounds not shortly after that. The engine does have a power reduction mode which limits the rpm so you won't damage the engine. The hot horn comes with the engine. This is standard equipment with your engine. So I would say that the pump is the issue. You are fortunate for the pump to have lasted this long. Your taking care of the engine by running it carefully in freshwater has added to the life of the pump. Post back with questions.