Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Chuck here, Afognak island Alaska. Kitoi Bay Hatchery maintenance.

Customer Question

Chuck here, Afognak island Alaska. Kitoi Bay Hatchery maintenance. I have a 2011 Yamaha F150TXR that keeps ruining reverse gear and dog clutch. It's a work boat and the boys are pretty rough on it, however, the original lower unit lasted four years before the reverse went out. I replaced it with a new LU and it lasted about a month. I replaced the gear cluster in that one and it only lasted about a month. The shift cut-out switch only works when I go from forward to neutral not from neutral to rev. Is this normal? I replaced the shift cable and the marks are lined up and the throttle cable is keeping slight pressure on the closed position. Why am I going through so many reverse gears? Am I missing something in the set-up?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. When you replaced the lower unit, was that a brand spanking new unit from Yamaha? When that one went out, was there any water in the gear lube?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No water in the gearlube on the reconditioned LU. I just checked and there was no water after this set of gears went out either.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any idea of what the idle speed might have been, both in neutral and in gear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My RPM gauge says 700 in neutral. I'm not sure about in gear. I can run and check real quick. Is my shift cut-out switch supposed to work while shifting from neutral to rev? Or just from forward to neutral?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just went and started it up and it's at 650 in gear and 750 in neutral.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. That's where it is supposed to be.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
the lower unit i'm concerned about with is the 2nd one. The first and the 3rd are explainable. But on the 2nd one. Was that new from Yamaha, or what was the story on that one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a reconditioned LU.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Reconditioned by a Yamaha dealer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a Yamaha dealer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
did they give you a reason for the premature failure on the 2nd one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. Is there a number I can call you at?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry there isn't. Everything we do is through the website, and we don't do phone calls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I'm guessing we're done. You haven't answered one of my original questions and it's been 28 minutes since your last reply.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I was sitting here waiting for you to reply. I had asked you "did they give you a reason for the premature failure on the 2nd one?" And I never got a yes or a no on that.