Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Am jerry on my 85hp Johnson boat motor I can hear the tilt

Customer Question

Hi am jerry on my 85hp Johnson boat motor I can hear the tilt motor running but want move the motor added fluid ans it still want move in either direction
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jerry my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Can I get the full model number on the engine please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model# ***** or 5 hard to tell 1977 year ser# ***** javlin johnson 85 hp
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Got it. What kinds of questions did you have about the system, what were you looking to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know what could be the problem filled with oil until see it run out of full hole the till motor hums but want raise motor even took pisons loose on each side of the motor pison took pison rods completely loose from boat motor tried it still pisons wouldn't move
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
To be honest it really doesn't matter what is wrong with it.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Unless it is low on fluid, which it is not because you checked it. There is going to be 1 or more broken parts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where and what do you thiink is broke
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The outboard is 38 years old, and there are no parts available for the tri system any longer. And has not been for decades. So even if you went through the trouble of trying to figure out what parts are broken... Where would you find the parts to fix it?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably can find it on ebay. Let me know what you think is broken would it be tilt pump impellar? Give me something to go on
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Aside from the electric motor, and solenoids, you won't find any other parts on ebay. The only reason why there are electric motors available is because they are aftermarket ones that fit many different model. I just went to ebay and typed in 1977 Johnson power trim and there were 16 hits in total, and they were all just motors and solenoids. The outboard is just to old. On top of that this was made by OMC, who has also been out of business since the late 90's.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
There are aftermarket trim systems that you could use. Those run about 750. Do you want to know more about those?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks jason bye
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I couldn't help you. Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks any way have a good day