Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I own a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 sloop. The hull number

Customer Question

Hi - I own a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2 sloop. The hull number is ***** longer on the transom. The boat has been painted a few times and hull #no longer exists. My law the number needs to also be in some unexposed place. Can you help me?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Is there any reason as to why you could not just use an engraving pen and etch new numbers on the gelcoat? Or rivet a new ID plate on to the transom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By law, the builder needs to permanently a fix the Hull # ***** the boat. One on an exposed location on the starboard side of the transom and the second location in some non-exposed area. I need to find the one in the non-exposed area. I don't know where that is? My question to you is where does Jeanneau place them on the 45.2 Sun Odyssey
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh no, only Jeanneau would actually know that. The only reason all manufactors hide the 2nd HIN number is ***** case of theft. Do you know what your HIN number is ***** now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I do know the HIN #, however I just had the boat surveyed and the surveyor needs to physically see the HIN # ***** on the boat.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No he doesn't.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
He's making things up. And it doesn't have to be engraved either. It can be a sticker as long as you varnish or fiberglass over it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You tell him that!😡 and that didn't answer my question.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
When I do boat restoration work, and do a lot of it, often times I find that hidden HIN and I have to cut it out because it's in an area that is rotten. All I do is I have one of those "Brother" branded label machines. I punch the HIN into that and then I take that sticker and apply it someplace in the boat, and then simply fiberglass over with a little resin so it can not be removed. And that meets the requirements. Even if you call the factory, they will not tell you unless you are law enforcement, as anybody could call, even a theif. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'm sure it's a standard location, that's all I want to know. I already know how to stamp a number back on the boat. Don't need your help with that
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Here is what I can tell you. It is not a standard location, it is a hidden location. It is hidden so that thieves can not find it, and alter it. If you call Jeanneau they will not tell you, as they have no idea if you are a thief or not. (this is a daily occurrence here in Florida where I am as boat theft is high). However, if you can get to either a police station, or a coast guard station, and ask an officer to make that call for you, Jeanneau (and every other boat manufacture) will release that information to an actual law enforcement officer. Just to give you an idea, they manufacture will not even tell the dealer. Think about this for a second.... And really think about it. I am not saying you are by any means, but how do I absolutely know for sure you are not a boat thief trying to forge numbers on a boat? (The answer is I have no way to know that). Does that make sense? Why does your surveyor need to see that 2nd HIN, is he trying to make sure you yourself are not buying a stolen boat? Because there are other ways to do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're done here
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Guess so. Good luck. But on a side note, imagine if this was a car. Car manufactures do stick hidden VINs in different spots on cars specifically for theft reasons. Mechanics don't normally know where those are unless they happen to stumble upon them. And neither do dealers. Car makers only release that info to law enforcement. Your surveyor does not need to find the hidden HIN, and if he telling you that he is completely mistaken, or not a licensed surveyor. And I say that because even he should know everything I am telling you now.