Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 40 hp yahama 2 stroke engine will start if you spray

Customer Question

I have a 40 hp yahama 2 stroke engine will start if you spray ether in intake
Will run for a few seconds then dies.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be assisting you.Ok you are not getting fuel to the carburetor or the carb inlet needle is stuck closed not allowing fuel into the carb. Remove the fuel line connecting to the carbs. Now squeeze the primer bulb if you have fuel the carbs inlet needle is stuck closed or the carb is clogged. The carbs will have to be removed, disassembled, cleaned and kits installed if needed. Do you have fuel to the carbs? POst back with questions.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Is there something you don't understand or i wasn't clear that needs to be clarified? Since the engine runs on start fluid we know that you have spark and compression. Leaving fuel as the problem. You need spark, compression and fuel for an engine to run.