Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2000, LS 2000 twin engine jet boat that at all speeds pulls hard right and

Customer Question

hello, I have a 2000, LS 2000 twin engine jet boat that at all speeds pulls hard right and requires a lot of left turn input to keep it direct. Engine RPM's for both are nearly perfectly matched and strong.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Have you got under the boat and inspected the jet pump impellers yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not, I'm not sure where to start or what to look for.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The most likely thing that is going on here is the right jet pump had a couple of small rocks that went through it, nicking up the impeller. Or the right jet pump has some weeds in it, or even a rope up in there.
The jet pumps make thrust. If it is "pulling to the right", usually what is happening is the left jet pump is producing more thrust than the right side, and what is actually happening is the left jet pump is pushing the bow to the right hand side. Does that make sense? That's usually what it is. Another question for you would be have you tried dropping the rpms on the left hand engine a bit to see if the pull/push goes away, or gets better?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you try to send a response back, as I did not receive one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I apologize not sure what happened. I did and I'll have to investigate it later tonight. Would be be a simple visual inspection?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It is just a simple visual inspection. Half the battle is how the boat sits on the trailer. Sometimes you have to jack the trailer up just to crawl under there and look up through the grates. You also want to look in through the jet pump nozzles as well. So with the engine off just push it into forward gear and that will lift the gates up and allow you to look in there for damage. What your looking for are 2 things. The first is for any kind of weeds rope or anything in that jet pump that should not be there. And then your looking for damage. Nicks, dings and deep scratches. Also pay special attention between the distance between the impeller itself, and the inside of the jet pump assembly. That is supposed to be a very tight fit. If one side looks a lot "looser" with a wider gap than the other that will also cause a lack of thrust.
I think that about covers it. If there was something I missed or if you had a further question on this, just let me know. If not, You should see the ratings box now. If you do end up having a further question about this later you can still come back and ask, doing the ratings does not close out the questions. If you can not see the ratings box please reply back "I rate Jason's Service ________" And fill in the blank. Tips are always greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and happy boating!
Jason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I pulled the boat out of the water to get a better look at the items you listed. The impellers are free and clear of any debris and just some very minor dings on them and only a few. I tested the reverse gates and both open and close properly and completely clear the outlets. I then got to thinking about car alignment, so I turned the wheel to top dead center and then reviewed the direction of both nozzles, and wouldn't you know it they are facing to the right, about 35 deg or so (both evenly). That being the case, I'm not sure how they because out of alignment with the steering wheel, but never the less they need to be adjusted. Are you fimilar with the process of realigning them? If so, could you enlighten me please, as I need to get it straightened out and back in the water today (or the ramp fee doubles).Thanks,alex
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Can you open up PDF files if I upload something in that format for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure can!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Before I upload it let me ask you this. Is there a story or a history to this boat? Did it steer fine on a Monday bot not on a Tuesday? Or do you have no history on it, and you just bought it and this is the way it is. The reason I ask is there isn't any kind of alignment procedure for this boat. The steering is proprietary to the boat, and when they build these, there is no alignment needed when installing a steering system as a whole, basically everything is pre-measured to work. There is a little bit of adjustment on the cable ends to compensate for cable "slop". But it is small amounts of adjustment. Is there any history you can give me on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought the boat this way. Its weird though because there is no major damage to anywhere on the boat. If I had to guess it has less than 150 hours on it as the interior, engines, engine compartment and the like are all very clean. Motors start damn near instantly and run very strong, but all the said the damn jets just are flat out not aligned with the steering wheel, but are parallel with either other when turned in either direction.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you bought the boat that way chances are somebody changed the steering wheel on it. Either that or they took it off and did not reinstall it correctly. If you were to remove the steering wheel and look at the shaft it sits on, there is a key on the shaft that engages a slot in the steering wheels inner hub. Have a look at this picture, this is the shaft.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Now have a look at this picture, this is a generic steering wheel.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you look at the wheel, you will see this particular one 3 slots in it. If you were in the boat and the jet pumps were perfectly straight, what you would do is orientate the steering wheel so that the key way fits in the slot on the steering wheels inner hub. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the steering wheel has to lock inside that little key. So with that said, is the process then to remove the steering wheel, face the jets to the correct rear position, and then reinstall? How would that make the steering wheel straight though, since the key can only go where the steering wheel allows? Does that make sense? Also then, how do I remove the steering wheel?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If it is the Yamaha factory wheel, you would simply pop the center cap out with thin screwdriver, an remove the nut behind it. See this picture. If it is a Yamaha wheel you should have no problems. If it is some other brand it might not work at all. These are not all universal. Often times somebody will see something in a catalog that they like and just order it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I think it is stock, I think it has the tuning forks on it if I recall. I'll double check this afternoon.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Just post back if you have any further questions on this. If the wheel actually is aligned then some part of the steering system, such as the helm unit behind the wheel, is going to be physically broken.